You’re probably thinking “Who the hell is Adam Blake and why should I listen to this guy?”.
Well, most pertinently to this convo, I’m a long time working trainer and I spend my days training real people just like you. I’ve been in this industry for damn near a decade and a half, and during that time, I am proud to say that I’ve helped a whole lot of people gain muscle, lose fat, and feel and perform at their very best.
During those years, I’ve learned a ton too. I’ve explored just about every single exercise modality and dietary strategy out there and have taken the lessons my childhood hero taught to heart.
And I look forward to sharing those ideas, concepts and philosophies with you here.
So that’s the why and as far as the who goes, if you’re interested, read on!
So this doesn’t turn into a self indulgent fluff piece, by me and about me, I’m just gonna list a few facts you may (or may not) find interesting about me and that are often talking points with people I meet.
1. I’m gonna assume a lot of you know this already, but since 1996, I have been a member of hardcore band H2O. We have played thousands of shows all over the world and we have made some records I am super proud of.
Could this count as a shameless plug for my band? Probably, but seeing as I’m all out of shame at the moment, here’s some tuneage for you to check out from that one time we were on late night TV (I’m the tall one with the red shirt on).
I’m happy to say that we still get out, hit the road and play our asses off on a regular basis.
2. I have competed in Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Submission Grappling. In the year 1986, I won the British National Nunchucku Championship. That’s not a joke BTW, thats 100% for reals!
3. From 1994 – 1996, I lived in an Hare Krsna ashram.
4. I fast 16 hours a day, pretty much everyday and have done for over 3 years now. I also recently fasted for 5 days straight and am a huge believer in the long term health benefits of it.
5. I haven’t always practiced and health and fitness focused lifestyle. In fact, for many years, I succumbed to all the temptations a life on the road can offer, including developing a hearty bottle of vodka a day booze habit, I drank myself through two kidney failures and a whole lot of bad decisions before I finally said enough. I’m grateful to say that I battled my demons and emerged victorious, although it definitely took more than a few lost battles to do so.
6. I know some people like to ask about certifications and all that stuff. Personally, I take my real world experience and the lessons learned from both my successes and my failures over any letters I might be able to put after my name. But for those of you who are concerned about that type of stuff, here’s a list for ya:
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM): Certified Personal Trainer
- NASM: Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES)
- NASM: Corrective Exercise Specialist (CES)
- National Sports Performance Association: Program Design Specialist
- Precision Nutrition: Level One Coach
- Personal Trainer Development Center: Certified Online Trainer
- Training For Warriors: Level One Coach
- Fitranx Instructor
- TRX Qualified
7. I lived in the suburbs of London until I was 21. Moved to NYC in 1994 where I resided until 2011 when I made the move to sunny southern California, where I now live happily with my wife, Juliet.